Every so often I release a free full length scratch video tutorial from inside my School of Scratch so you can see where we are up to with our training and decide if the School is right for you.
The following lesson covers the 2 Click Chirp Flare Combo – let’s dive right into it!
The 2 Click Chirp Flare (or Chirp to 2 Click Flare) combines a chirp with a 2 click flare to create a funky 8 note combo.
Using the twiddle technique allows you to attain greater speed with less effort – just make sure it’s clean!
If you can do this wrist style at fast speeds, you are a beast!
- 00:00 – Intro
- 00:17 – Technique Demonstration
- 00:32 – Other videos in the School that help with this scratch combo and which you can watch the previews of include:
- 00:47 – Technique Breakdown
- 01:02 – 3 parts:
- 2 Click Flare Forward
- 2 Click Flare Reverse
- 01:08 – Create 8 total sounds
- 01:55 – Twiddle Technique vs Wrist Technique demo
- 02:25 – Timing Breakdowns
- 16th Notes
- 16th Notes offset
- 16th Notes over a faster mid tempo hip hop beat
- 32nd Notes
- 32nd Notes offset
- 32nd Notes over a faster mid tempo hip hop beat
- 09:58 – Work on your technique and creating clean sounds first, before working on your speed
- 11:02 – QnA Practice
- 15:36 – Wrap Up
Scratch Notation Diagram
Here is a simple scratch notation diagram for this combo:
If you need some help with understand how to read these diagrams, watch my other video here.
I hope you enjoyed this lesson!
If you like what you see and would like to get access to my growing library of scratch video tutorials, head on over to SchoolOfScratch.com.
Each of my tutorial videos feature:
- Clearly broken down, slow and simple step-by-step instructions, to give you the maximum chance to grasp the techniques at a realistic pace.
- Timing examples so you can see how to apply the technique over a beat.
- An overhead view so you can see all the action clearly.
- High Definition for maximum clarity.
- High quality audio and voiceover.
- A QnA session at the end so you can practice with me to cement your technique.
I’ve also started shooting with multiple cameras to give you different angles to further aid your learning.
My videos are somewhat longer than many other scratch video tutorials because when I was learning I found it really hard to learn from quick demos. I want to break things down for you completely and eliminate the frustration associated with the scratching learning curve!
If you are thinking of joining the school and find this particular technique too advanced, please don’t worry! I start from the very beginning, so you can build up your skills slowly at your own pace.
How to Join
Vist SchoolOfScratch.com to find out more.
Over 50 HD video tutorials plus a community of friendly DJs awaits!
Happy Scratching! 😀
– Emma Short-E