Welcome to Day 12 of 30 Days of Scratching. For a full overview and instructions on how to join in please visit 30 Days of Scratching Day 1.
Beat used: Allow me Too by DJ Jazzy Jeff – Link to the whole album from DJ Jazzy Jeff’s own site. Great freebie! (Looped from 02:21.5 – 02:31.6 roughly)
Scratch Record Used: Digital Skipless Scratch Record #28
A few of you have been asking about the delay settings I use. I use the echo effect that is built into my mixer and used the following instructions to set it up so that the echo BPM matches the BPM of the beat that I am playing automatically:
I use slightly different settings than shown in the linked article. Here are my exact settings:
Wet/dry (mix) setting of 20%, feedback around 22%.
“Just Do It”
Reflections On Todays Video
- I took some time to pick out some instrumentals for the upcoming days. Better organisation give breathing space and its easier to dip into a whole set of beats that I know I like to scratch to.
- I choose beats based on if the track moves me or inspires me. The track has to have enough space for the scratching to breathe and to not compete with any other instruments.
- I set up a playlist, then I have an easy way to choose a beat out of the thousands of tracks I have. It’s one less thing to think about during this challenge and I can get on with scratching and recording.
- I set up the beat loop IN and OUT points in Scratch Live software as follows: http://serato.com/manuals/scratchlive/rane-sl3/2.1/looping
- Todays lesson – find the beats that you love scratching to and save them in a playlist for instant inspiration.
Official 30 Days Of Scratching Playlist
You can see all of the videos here: 30 Days Of Scratching YouTube Playlist
If you would like to join me in this challenge throughout October / November, post links to your own practice videos in the comments below. Tag your videos on social networks with #studioscratches and #30DaysOfScratching. You don’t have to do the full 30 days so feel free to dip in and out posting your videos where you want to, but it would be super awesome to have you along as company for the full 30 days! Who knows where you might end up!
If you have a beat suggestion or want to send me cool beats to use in this challenge, please email me via the contact page.
If you have any questions please let me know.
See you tomorrow!
Happy Scratching! 😀
– Emma Short-E