Welcome to Day 15 of 30 Days of Scratching. Wow! We are half way through already! How are you finding it? Are you joining in? What do you think of this project?
For a full overview and instructions on how to join in please visit 30 Days of Scratching Day 1.
Beat used: Funk 13 by Studio Scratches
Scratch Record Used: Digital Skipless Scratch Record Volume 1
I opted for a minimal bass and drums funky beat today. I love the space that just drums and bass loops allow when scratching over them. Scratching over tracks which have many instruments sometimes means that it ends up sounding too busy and overwhelming for the listener.
I’m working with bass player “BassVader” on another bass and drums beatpack release which will be with you soon. He has been funking it up in his studio to get you some seriously funky baselines!
I used my Crane Stand Pro Laptop Stand which I find useful and feels comfortable when using the laptop to run Serato Scratch Live with my setup:
It also folds away flat when not in use.
“If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn’t seem so wonderful at all.”
Reflections On Todays Video
- It took me a while to decide on todays beat. I made a loop from a track that I liked but it clashed with the scratching so in the end I settled on something simple and funky.
- I had a few scratch blanks today! I wanted to do the boomerang scratch but it came out as the slow autobahn!
- I play around with some faderless scratching around 04:52
- I detail how I use the echo settings in the Rane TTM 57sl mixer in day 12.
- Todays lesson – Sometimes less is more. Try scratching over simple minimal beats and giving your cuts room to breathe.
Official 30 Days Of Scratching Playlist
You can see all of the videos here: 30 Days Of Scratching YouTube Playlist
If you would like to join me in this challenge throughout October / November, post links to your own practice videos in the comments below. Tag your videos on social networks with #studioscratches and #30DaysOfScratching. You don’t have to do the full 30 days so feel free to dip in and out posting your videos where you want to, but it would be super awesome to have you along as company for the full 30 days! Who knows where you might end up!
If you have a beat suggestion or want to send me cool beats to use in this challenge, please email me via the contact page.
If you have any questions please let me know.
See you tomorrow!
Happy Scratching! 😀
– Emma Short-E