Welcome to Day 16 of 30 Days of Scratching. For a full overview and instructions on how to join in please visit 30 Days of Scratching Day 1.
Beat used: Mirrors Instrumental – Justin Timberlake.
I have had this beat loop in reserve for a little while and today was the day that I decided to use it. Something a little bit different than than the usual hip hop / funk /electro beats. I always liked Timbaland’s beats.
I used Serato Scratch Live to record and play the beat.
“Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”
– Mahatma Gandhi
Reflections On Todays Video
- I took a while to warm up today. I almost didn’t use this loop as my cuts were not flowing. I kept practicing and eventually loosened up and found the flow I was after. I took a while to work on my speed.
- Although this is a slow beat at 77 BPM, the challenge is that this means you can do double time cuts which are very quick and need speed.
- For slow beats like this, try pitching the scratch sample record down to provide a closer match to the speed of the beat, which means that the record moves slower and you have to move your record hand less.
- Some of the scratch combos I used today were:
- Todays lesson – Warm up, relax, believe and persevere!
Official 30 Days Of Scratching Playlist
You can see all of the videos here: 30 Days Of Scratching YouTube Playlist
If you would like to join me in this challenge throughout October / November, post links to your own practice videos in the comments below. Tag your videos on social networks with #studioscratches and #30DaysOfScratching. You don’t have to do the full 30 days so feel free to dip in and out posting your videos where you want to, but it would be super awesome to have you along as company for the full 30 days! Who knows where you might end up!
If you have a beat suggestion or want to send me cool beats to use in this challenge, please email me via the contact page.
If you have any questions please let me know.
See you tomorrow!
Happy Scratching! 😀
– Emma Short-E