Welcome to Day 17 of 30 Days of Scratching. For a full overview and instructions on how to join in please visit 30 Days of Scratching Day 1.
Beat used: ScratchStep2 by Studio Scratches (free beat).
Scratch Records Used: Cuts n Drums by DJ Vajra & Muscle Skip Proof #14 by Le Jad.
I went for some dubstep flavas today at 67.5 BPM or 135 BPM depending on how slow or fast you want to scratch.
I used Serato Scratch Live to record and play the beat and samples.
“The true artist has no public; he works for he sheer joy of it, with an element of playfulness, of casualness. Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self consciousness. Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make.”
– Bruce Lee
Reflections On Todays Video
- I practiced for a decent length of time today as I was experimenting with some new scratch sounds and techniques that I found difficult. These types of cuts are a work in progress and I hope it gives you some ideas. I wanted to switch things up a bit and bring you something different to usual.
- I pitched the “1, 2, 3, 4, 5, break down” sample to match the tempo the beat.
- Similarly from 6:06, the Le Jad samples are also in time with the beat.
- I found it super fun cutting with these skipless samples that are in time with the beat.
- Todays lesson – try something different and push yourself out of your comfort zone. As the Bruce Lee quote refers to above, work on being less self conscious.
Official 30 Days Of Scratching Playlist
You can see all of the videos here: 30 Days Of Scratching YouTube Playlist
If you would like to join me in this challenge throughout October / November, post links to your own practice videos in the comments below. Tag your videos on social networks with #studioscratches and #30DaysOfScratching. You don’t have to do the full 30 days so feel free to dip in and out posting your videos where you want to, but it would be super awesome to have you along as company for the full 30 days! Who knows where you might end up!
If you have a beat suggestion or want to send me cool beats to use in this challenge, please email me via the contact page.
If you have any questions please let me know.
See you on tomorrow!
Happy Scratching! 😀
– Emma Short-E