Welcome to Day 2 of 30 Days of Scratching. Great to see some of you getting in on the action and recording your own videos and audio yesterday. For a full overview and instructions please visit 30 Days of Scratching Day 1.
Beat used: KC and the Sunshine Band – Give it Up.
Scratch Record Used: Super Seal 3D
This song always makes me smile and thought it would be funky and fun to scratch over and hopefully spread some sunshine!
I have looped up the beginning part of the song.
I used Serato Scratch Live to record and play the beat and used a real scratch record for the samples.
Reflections On Todays Video
- This is quite a fast beat at 126 bpm and was kinda challenging
- I performed quite a few stabs
- The 2 click orbit / flare pattern was really fun to do
- I use the delay effect on my Rane TTM 57sl mixer in places. This is really fun!
- I still get nervous recording and if I think too much, my scratching goes a bit off, maybe you can tell in some places
- It was fun picking this beat
- Did you watch the video to the very end? ***Clap Clap***
- Consider scratching over beats you wouldnt normally scratch over to push yourself out of your comfort zone. This beat is not your typical hip hop / electro scratch beat but there are no rules! Scratch over whatever makes you move and feel good.
- I’m excited for tomorrows video. I am not sure what beat I will use yet. I have a list of great potentials, but today I changed my mind at the last minute and ended up using this one. So I will decide tomorrow. Flexibility is good.
- I’m running out of different colour vinyl!
Official 30 Days Of Scratching Playlist
You can see all of the videos here: 30 Days Of Scratching YouTube Playlist
If you would like to join me in this challenge throughout October / November, post links to your own practice videos in the comments below. Tag your videos on social networks with #studioscratches and #30DaysOfScratching. You don’t have to do the full 30 days so feel free to dip in and out posting your videos where you want to, but it would be super awesome to have you along as company for the full 30 days! Who knows where you might end up!
If you have a beat suggestion or want to send me cool beats to use in this challenge, please email me via the contact page.
If you have any questions please let me know.
See you tomorrow!
Happy Scratching! 😀
– Emma Short-E