Welcome to Day 4 of 30 Days of Scratching. For a full overview and instructions on how to join in please visit 30 Days of Scratching Day 1.
Beat used: Waves instrumental. This beat was used by Joey Bada$$ and produced by Freddie Joachim.
Scratch Record Used: Digital Skipless Scratch Record #27
I love love love this track so much! Chill summer vibes.
I have looped up the beginning section of the instrumental. The full version has some really nice rhodes and other instruments so check it out.
I used Serato Scratch Live to record and play the beat and samples.
I had a few issues with Serato today – you might be able to hear in places the ahh sample sounds a bit “digital”. Everything sounded ok before I hit record, so maybe its the processing power of my computer or something? I am not sure. Maybe I need new needles? I will experiment some more.
I labeled cue points in Serato so I know which samples are on each record track that I want to scratch with:
At 4:45 minutes into this session, our ridiculous doorbell rang! I decided to answer it as I am expecting a new vinyl delivery, which it wasn’t, but I decided to keep recording then carry on anyway! Real life cuts! I’ve kept the interruption in as it reminded me that it doesnt have to be perfect, it is more important to keep recording, learning, growing and to share this with you all.
I am working on a new scratch combo / pattern and I decided to give you an insight to this at the end of the video at 9:18 minutes. It is more for the intermediate / advanced scratchers but here are the details if you would like to try it out for yourself:
Simple Scratch Notation:
- It starts with a slice, then you move the record forward and transform three times.
- At this point you will be near the end of your sample.
- Perform another slice and transform on the reverse.
- In total you do 4 Clicks forward and back.
- The combo should make 5 sounds forward and 5 sounds back.
- I perform it in a cyclical way to repeat over and over.
This is not a full tutorial or breakdown by any means but it might inspire you to have a go!
Reflections On Todays Video
- Today’s video took longer to edit because I kept in the part when I went to answer the door and added a few titles explaining what was happening.
- The battery was fully charged today but the video cut off recording near the end due to a camera issue.
- Todays lesson – you can’t always plan for interruptions, so why not embrace them and make something of them. A little while ago I might have got frustrated and scrapped everything and started again, but that’s not real life. Things are not perfect and don’t have to be perfect. Maybe it’s even entertaining to you and made you laugh. I hope so!
- We are usually our own worst critics – there are a few things I don’t like watching back like me getting the levels wrong and putting the wrong side of the record on, but I think this shows you that its real and that we do not have to be perfect.
- Have fun. This challenge is stretching me but I am starting to get in the flow and have fun with it. That’s the whole point right?! It doesn’t have to be so serious.
- I didn’t use the LED light today as it was a bit brighter. Natural light is the best light and is a bit softer.
- As always it is great to see your comments, questions and the scratching that you record. Keep them coming!
- Feel free to ask me any questions you like.
- I’ve ordered some new coloured Serato vinyl which should be here next week. I will keep the colours a surprise.
- I’m actually going to miss recording tomorrow! But rest days are important!
Official 30 Days Of Scratching Playlist
You can see all of the videos here: 30 Days Of Scratching YouTube Playlist
If you would like to join me in this challenge throughout October / November, post links to your own practice videos in the comments below. Tag your videos on social networks with #studioscratches and #30DaysOfScratching. You don’t have to do the full 30 days so feel free to dip in and out posting your videos where you want to, but it would be super awesome to have you along as company for the full 30 days! Who knows where you might end up!
If you have a beat suggestion or want to send me cool beats to use in this challenge, please email me via the contact page.
If you have any questions please let me know.
See you on Monday!
Happy Scratching! 😀
– Emma Short-E