Welcome to Day 6 of 30 Days of Scratching. For a full overview and instructions on how to join in please visit 30 Days of Scratching Day 1.
Beat used: Tokyo [Tokyo Black Star Remix] – DJ MITSU THE BEATS
Scratch Record Used: DJ Vajra Cuts & Drums
Another chilled hip hop track at 92 bpm. I love drums, piano and the guitar / bass.
I have looped up the very beginning section (00:00.5 – 00:21.5) of the track.
I used Serato Scratch Live to record and play the beat and samples.
I use a delay /echo effect in some parts that is built into my Rane mixer. I’ll share my exact settings and how to achieve this synced to the BPM of the beat in a future post.
Some of you commented on the quote from yesterday so here is another that helps me to get going with creative stuff like scratching:
When we sit down each day and do our work, power concentrates around us. The Muse takes note of our dedication. She approves. We have earned favor in her sight. When we sit down and work, we become like a magnetized rod that attracts iron filings. Ideas come. Insights accrete.
– Steven Pressfield
Reflections On Todays Video
- I shot this video ahead of time yesterday as I am out all day today and wouldn’t be able to record till late so I wanted to have it ready for you.
- I had warmed up after shooting the Day 5 video and was getting more into the scratching and felt like it flowed better.
- This is another new Serato control vinyl. It is clear which looks cool especially if you have an interesting designed slip mat underneath. It does make finding the tracks a little difficult though!
- Thanks to everyone who is following this series and leaving me messages!
- Todays lesson – sometimes you need to plan ahead. Also please see yesterdays post for lessons from when I recorded this video.
Official 30 Days Of Scratching Playlist
You can see all of the videos here: 30 Days Of Scratching YouTube Playlist
If you would like to join me in this challenge throughout October / November, post links to your own practice videos in the comments below. Tag your videos on social networks with #studioscratches and #30DaysOfScratching. You don’t have to do the full 30 days so feel free to dip in and out posting your videos where you want to, but it would be super awesome to have you along as company for the full 30 days! Who knows where you might end up!
If you have a beat suggestion or want to send me cool beats to use in this challenge, please email me via the contact page.
If you have any questions please let me know.
See you tomorrow!
Happy Scratching! 😀
– Emma Short-E