Welcome to Day 8 of 30 Days of Scratching. For a full overview and instructions on how to join in please visit 30 Days of Scratching Day 1.
Beat used: Holiday Instrumental by Dizzee Rascal.
Scratch Record Used: Super Seal in the 4th Dimension. Glow in the dark! Actually I like the colour of the vinyl in the daylight! Minty green and fresh!
Not your average scratch instrumental today but I love cutting over faster beats too and have had this in my scratch practice playlist for a while.
I have looped up the mid section of the instrumental.
I used Serato Scratch Live to record and play the beat.
Reflections On Todays Video
- Today I went for an overhead angle for a change. I love this angle and although it is very awkward to set up and record, it is always worth it in the end.
- I did a few takes. Halfway through the first take, my record was making an annoying vibration noise from the friction against the centre hole which was really off putting. I stopped and made some adjustments with some super smooth magic tape and carried on. Another take I didn’t get into the flow and had trouble finding the samples I wanted to scratch with on the record, but by the final take I was having fun and enjoying it.
- I accidentally had the delay effect set a little too slow, but you can’t really tell the difference.
- It was great to wake up and see that DJ Jeff and Shannon record their own videos yesterday. That made my day! I am a big fan of DJ Jeff ever since hearing Change the Scratch. Jeff even made a beat for Free Beat Friday #34.
- Are you following the Studio Scratches Instagram account? I post little snippets and behind the scenes photos.
- Todays lesson – know the samples you are using! A (scratch) journey is always better when you have companions along for the ride!
Official 30 Days Of Scratching Playlist
You can see all of the videos here: 30 Days Of Scratching YouTube Playlist
If you would like to join me in this challenge throughout October / November, post links to your own practice videos in the comments below. Tag your videos on social networks with #studioscratches and #30DaysOfScratching. You don’t have to do the full 30 days so feel free to dip in and out posting your videos where you want to, but it would be super awesome to have you along as company for the full 30 days! Who knows where you might end up!
If you have a beat suggestion or want to send me cool beats to use in this challenge, please email me via the contact page.
If you have any questions please let me know.
See you tomorrow!
Happy Scratching! 😀
– Emma Short-E