Welcome to Day 9 of 30 Days of Scratching. For a full overview and instructions on how to join in please visit 30 Days of Scratching Day 1.
Beat used: Magrouni (Imhotep Remix) – Erik Truffaz (Looped from 00:03.8 – 00:13.9)
Scratch Record Used: Digital Skipless Scratch Record #28
I l almost didn’t use this loop today because I didn’t think it was a clean enough loop, but when you are scratching over it, it sounds fine. I really like the shuffle of it. The full track is well worth a listen to, featuring some cool laid back jazz trumpet.
I used Serato Scratch Live to record and play the beat and samples.
Today’s inspirational quotes
Both quotes are by Steven Pressfield.
“The most important thing about art is to work. Nothing else matters except sitting down every day and trying.”
Have you done your scratch work today?
“Someone once asked Somerset Maughham if he wrote on a schedule or only when struck by inspiration. “I write only when inspiration strikes,” he replied. “Fortunately it strikes every morning at nine o’clock sharp.”
I like this quote as with this challenge I do not have time to wait for inspiration to strike! I happen to be inspired as soon as I set up my equipment and hit the record button!
Reflections On Todays Video
- A relatively straightforward day of recording today. I did a few takes again today. Previously I would only do one take to get it done asap, but I am relaxing a bit more and taking more time as I want to get you the good cuts!
- Did you enjoy the message on my arm before I started scratching? Via the awesome Kal Barteski.
- Todays lesson – Be Brave + Be Brilliant!
- I think it is super cool that people are recording more like Shannon. It really does take guts to put your art and work out there in public and be vulnerable. In todays age of social media it is very easy for people to judge and reel off anonymous hurtful comments that are really just worthless. I get negative comments but I just delete them and I recommend you do the same. The people that understand what goes into doing what you you do would never say negative mindless things about it.
- It really does help to record what you do then look back. Some of my early videos make me cringe but it is always a boost to my journey and to the level I have reached now.
- The neon pink I used record is really bright! The camera doesn’t pick up just how bright it is. Ouch, my eyes!
- Keep recording or start recording if you haven’t yet and ask me any questions you want.
Official 30 Days Of Scratching Playlist
You can see all of the videos here: 30 Days Of Scratching YouTube Playlist
If you would like to join me in this challenge throughout October / November, post links to your own practice videos in the comments below. Tag your videos on social networks with #studioscratches and #30DaysOfScratching. You don’t have to do the full 30 days so feel free to dip in and out posting your videos where you want to, but it would be super awesome to have you along as company for the full 30 days! Who knows where you might end up!
If you have a beat suggestion or want to send me cool beats to use in this challenge, please email me via the contact page.
If you have any questions please let me know.
See you on Monday!
Happy Scratching! 😀
– Emma Short-E