Hey hey! Welcome to episode 8 of #askShortE, where I answer your questions on scratching and life!
In this episode we talk:
- 7″ scratch record availability.
- Scratching alone and feeling stuck.
- Scratching vocals instead of just “ahh”.
- Scratching slow songs.
- Slipmats, records and the turntable platter – how they work together when scratching.
Show notes / things I mentioned to help you
7 inch scratch records
Wow! Baby Super Seal sold out since I recorded this video! Even last night, 300 new red versions were released and they were all snapped up very quickly. Please make more Thud Rumble! There is an opportunity for 7 inch scratch records here! If you know a good 7 inch scratch record that is in stock, please leave a comment.
My friend DJ Brace is making an awesome 7 inch which I have had the privilege to hear him cutting up live in a demo to me plus also been given the chance to play with so get hooked up with him on facebook for updates and I will also update you here as soon as it is released.
Scratching alone / feeling stuck.
The key to this is to take ACTION and OWN your own scratch development.
None of the things listed are reasons that have to hold us back.
We can reach out to others and make the effort by taking baby steps to make progress. YOU GOT THIS.
Here are my top resources for moving forward with scratching when you feel stuck:
- I hate scratching / I love scratching – when all else fails
- The scratch DJs guide to deliberate practice
- The zen masters guide to scratching
- The hard work of scratching
- How to get out of a scratch slump
- Advice for beginner scratch DJs
- Why video recording your scratching can help you improve
- How to have a scratch breakthrough
- Consider joining a community like School of Scratch for mutual encouragement, support and ideas that can help you make progress.
I have an indepth tutorial on scratching vocals inside my School. Here is a preview:
This video from my School of Scratch explains what the deal with slipmats is!
You might also like to check out the turntables overview lesson.
Thanks for the questions everyone, keep sending them in!
What questions do you want to ask me about scratching and DJing?
Extra points and high fives all round if you record a question with you on camera and post it publicly. I’ll be prioritising answers to video questions so get creative!
Let’s have some FUN!
Happy Scratching! 😀
– Emma Short-E