Welcome to episode 18 of my DJcity “Scratch Combo of the Month.”
Learning the individual scratches that make up this combo first will definitely help. If you need help with that I recommend diving into my School of Scratch.
If you are a regular crossfader scratch DJ, I recommend learning the individual techniques listed in the breakdown first, then putting them all together using this video as a guide. You do not have to be a hamster / reverse crossfader style DJ to do this combo. It is for everyone! I have a guide to help regular scratch DJs learn with me here.
Have fun with it!
- Use the sample “say what” on the superseal vinyl.
- Do a 2 click flare forward and back on “say” and the first part of the “what” sound to create 3 sounds. I use the twiddle technique.
- We are splitting the “say” vocal into 2 sounds and catching the first part of “what” vocal, so broken down that sounds like sa – ay – wh, and then the same in reverse (hw-ya-as).
- Next we do a Forward on the “say” .
- Then a reverse drag on “say”.
- Do part one then…
- Then to end, end play “say what” forward.
- Rewind the record and play the “what” vocal forward again, doubling up the “what” sound.
- See the vocal cuts lessons for more on this concept.
- Repeat the combo (part 1 and 2 together) 3 times = 3 bars.
- End with a boomerang in triplet timing using the “what” sample.
- OR end with any other pattern you like using the what sample, or the say sample. Anything goes!
I picked up this pattern from the master D-Styles many years ago! See if you can spot the time.
If you would like to learn more scratch combos, or maybe you are just starting out and need help with the basics, I’ve got you covered with my online School of Scratch. It contains my very best tutorials and a complete how to scratch course which takes you from beginner to advanced level.
Sign up below to receive some full length tutorials from inside the school and start your scratch journey today.
Happy Scratching! 😀
– Emma Short-E