I thought it would be good to reflect on 2013 as we move into 2014. I was inspired by this post from James Clear to write this annual review.
Firstly, BIG thanks to everyone who has visited the site, bought beat packs, left me comments and encouraged me onwards. It means so much to me and I am thankful for you.
What went well this year?
30 Days of Scratching
This was the biggest commitment and challenge I have taken on for Studio Scratches yet, and I was unsure of how it would go. It was a challenge to complete but it was very rewarding to achieve what I set out to do. It was great to have you all along for the journey leaving me comments and encouragement. I learnt many things along the way that I can put into practice as I produce more content for you this coming year.
Here is a recap article where you can watch the highlights / snapshots in just a few minutes instead of the 4 hour playlist:
I love to share knowledge of how you can improve your scratching and generally encourage your forwards with the correct mindset you need. Here some of the most popular articles that I wrote this year:
- The Hard Work of Scratching
- Advice For Beginner Scratch DJs
- How To Get Out Of A Scratch Slump
- How to have a Scratch Breakthrough
- Will The Rane TTM 57sl Or Other New Mixer Help Me Scratch Better?
- Why It’s OK To Be Different
- How To Scratch – Start Here
- The Simple Art of Scratching
- How To Record Overhead Scratch Videos
- 31 Days To A Better Scratch Style
- Ask Short-E: Dominant Hand on the Record or Crossfader?
It’s always good to put out new videos and keep things fresh. By far the most popular was the DJ Tech DIF-1S vs Rane TTM 57sl mixer comparison, which was also super fun to record!
- DJ Tech DIF-1S vs Rane TTM 57sl
- DJ Short-E “Beatminerz” Scratch Practice Inspiration Video
- DJ Short-E Scratch Practice Inspiration Video
- Free Beat Friday 36 – Free Beat Instrumental
- Free Beat Friday 35 – Free Beat Instrumental
- An Awesome Track To Scratch Over
- Free Beat Friday #34 – Free Beat Instrumental
I also released some new beats for scratch practice, including packs from featured guest producers:
- Anno Domini Beats Volume 1
- NoOne Grooves – Ultimate Scratch Training Beats
- Sunshine Breaks
- BassVader Bass & Drums Volume 1
- Ultimate Scratch Samples
Freelance Session Scratching Work
Every now and then I do some scratching for select projects. I was pleased to provide the soundtrack for the CBBC’s Scratching Badgers in the 3rd series of the show. Bless those scratchy badgers!
What didn’t go so well this year?
I didn’t record that many scratch tutorials or QnA videos and this is something that the School of Scratch should address this year, see the next point below.
What am I working toward?
I am working hard on the School of Scratch which has been a (very) long time coming and I am looking forward to launching that in the new year. I hope you will be part of it! Teaching will be my main focus within Studio Scratches this year.
I would also like to finish writing and launch my free Scratch DJ Equipment guide eBook to answer the many questions I receive on what equipment is suitable for new scratch DJs.
Last, but not least, I hope to bring you more beat packs from guest producers this coming year.
It has been great to look back on this year and take time to appreciate what has been achieved and experienced. I recommend the annual review exercise to you as a way to reflect and celebrate your 2013.
Once again, thank you all for your support and encouragement, I really do value every single one of you and appreciate you joining me on this scratch adventure through life!
Here is a free beat for you to launch your new year:
Download free beat (Right click and save as).
Happy end of 2013 and wishing you an awesome & amazing 2014!
I will leave you with two of my favourite quotes to inspire you into the new year:
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you’ve imagined.”
– Henry David Thoreau
“Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.”
– W. H. Murray / Goethe
Happy Scratching! 😀
– Emma Short-E