In this article we explore ways you can find a zen-like peace around scratching for when it all gets a bit much!
Some thoughts around fInding a zen-like peace around scratching for when it all gets a bit much:
- Create don’t compete
- Find your own style (hint – its within you)
- Scratching is nothing to do with how many clicks you can fit into one bar but rather what you do with the clicks, how you click and how you link it all together
- Scratching has nothing to do with techniques but everything to do with the way you use the techniques and link them together to FLOW
- BE water my friend (Bruce Lee)
- You are aiming for honest self expression (more bruce lee)
- Experiment – try things that I have not explained, create new scratches, new patterns try weird stuff – check out Dj Woody for an example.
- Think outside the box
- Use it as an opportunity for growth in all areas of your life
- Have a playful attitude
- Cultivate joy
- Don’t worry about “good” or “bad”
- Enjoy the journey
- You do not learn to scratch, as learning implies that one day you will have learnt and that task is complete and now you can scratch. You SCRATCH now!! We learn by doing
- Stumble upon new techniques – that’s how scratching was invented in the first place! Just ask Grand wizard Theodore
- Research – dig out all the stuff you can about scratching – make youtube your best friend, find out the history and the main players (this site can help you with this!!!)
- Just scratch!
- Start anywhere
- Record yourself (get used to the red light – its not your enemy it’s your friend!)
- Scratch at weird hours (in headphones) when tired, wide awake, see what the different states bring
- Keep your space tidy and clean! temple of the turntables!
- Slow down – scratch slower than normal – then you will see just how good your record control really is, or if you are just covering up your sloppiness with speed!
- Collaborate – scratch with others and bands especially those who are better than you! It’s good to get over yourself and to learn new things
- Don’t be a cool DJ. Cool can be a barrier sometimes as it can be something to live up to and you are not truly free.
- Share the knowledge. this isn’t some elite club, scratching is to be shared. Yeh yeh, feel the love I know, but its true!
- Others can maybe do it “better” than you, but no one can do it “like” you! Celebrate yourself and what you bring to the table. Everyone has a unique style. Use it to your advantage!
- There’s no time like the present
- There will never be the perfect time to learn to scratch
- Like a certain sports brand says – JUST DO IT!
- Write down your scratches or record them for future reference
- Never throw your book of scratches away (as I did – doh!!!!)
- Scratch with your other hand – see you are much better than that!
Happy Scratching! 😀