Hey Folks, how are you all?
Today I am sharing a few facts that may or may not surprise you. This post is about being true to yourself, even if this goes against the “norm” or what “everyone else” is doing.
- I don’t usually hang out with scratch DJs in real life.
- I don’t like dark and dirty beats.
- I love playing with bands.
- I don’t like going to clubs to DJ, or to clubs in general.
- I love early nights and early mornings (the energy is great in the morning).
- I cannot do the prism scratch, or autobahn scratch, heck, I don’t even know what half the scratches are these days.
- I repeat the same scratches over and over sometimes and this frustrates me.
- I get derogatory and negative comments on my YouTube channel ALL the time.
- I don’t like complexity.
- I don’t like using a ton of equipment.
- I don’t beat juggle.
Why none of this matters
- I am having FUN.
- I am passing on knowledge to new scratch DJs or older scratch DJs that got lost along the way or to those who are seeking to get the fun back into their practice.
- At the end of the day there are no rules to scratching.
So, if you can do a baby scratch but the chirp and the flare scratch are stressing you out; SO WHAT! It doesn’t matter! Work with what you have. Go slow and have fun! If you needed permission to be different or go against the norm, consider this it. It works for me.
Until next time…